Saturday, December 5, 2015

December 5, 2015 The stockings were hung.....

The year was 1975.
Ron and I had been married for 5 years.
Ron's Mom, Dot Sharpley, had lovingly hand-knitted 2 Christmas stockings, for us to hang on our fireplace mantle.

Our family increased. Dot would graciously knit another stocking. Soon our mantle was loaded with 5 stockings.
Dot never put away her knitting needles.
When Walter, Sarah, and Lauren were married, their mates (Stephanie, Brian, and Andrew) were given Christmas stockings.
Each couple was also given "one extra stocking" for whenever their family grew in number. (I think the stockings may have been used for pets as well as children!)


















How sweet! 
One minor detail.... NOT ENOUGH STOCKINGS! 
Regretfully, Dot is no longer able to see to knit. Her voice, however, still rings in my ear: "TK, you really should learn to do this. It's easy, and I know that one day you will need more." 
Nah...I didn't listen to her.
Shame on me!
Phew........After searching through that one closet, stuffed with memoribilia, I found her instructions........(seriously? I'm suppose to follow this?) She'd completed 11 stockings, using this same pattern.


















Looking at the instructions alone, is O.V.E.R.W.H.E.L.M.I.N.G. The needles, the yarn, the jewels, the names, weaving the different colors, counting the stitches, knit, purl, knit, purl, increase, decease. What in the world is "slip, k and pass"? and "pass the slipped st over the knitted st."? and "pass through 2nd st of front needle as if to p but leave st on needle"?  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

This pattern was a "vintage" pattern. Thank goodness for google. 















Today I ordered a new set of instructions, and will be calling out for help from a few of my friends that can guide me through this next adventure.......... But not until 2016. 

I'll gladly take all of the help I can get! 
Our mantle looks a little skimpy this year, with just 2 stockings....that are hung by the chimney with care.

No comments:

Post a Comment