"Grandchildren are the only people who can get more out of you than the IRS."
"When grandparents enter the door, discipline flies out the window."
"Never have children, only grandchildren."
"Now I know why most grandparents flee to Florida."
In FIVE short days,
the laundry....... turned to survival mode.
Not for them........US!
We managed to do the essentials. Period.
We discovered that eating vegetables became a game. Actually fish sticks and chicken nuggets, dipped in strawberry yogurt wasn't bad at all.
We discovered that participating in one activity for more than 20 minutes was a gift.
We discovered that the female girl child loves to change clothes a million times a day.
We discovered that it took every ounce of energy and strength that we both had.
We gratefully utilized the "list" of instructions, but quickly realized: Our usual old geezer schedule does not resemble a 3 yr old and 7 yr old schedule....IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.
How to survive when keeping grand babies?
1. Safety first
2. Get plenty of sleep, whenever the time allows
3. Keep your sense of humor. The hair and clothes are not important.
4. Hugs and kisses and hugs and kisses can never be enough.
5. Encourage unstructured time to play.
6. Fresh air, sunshine, and outdoor play is essential..... yes, even in the winter!
7. Laugh. Laugh. LAUGH A LOT!
8. Believe it or not, children love boundaries and structure.
If they know for a second that they can get by with yanking your chain..........
9. When occasions call for proper attire, these 2 clean up really nice!
*** Remember that while you may not have the energy you did when you were younger, you do have the wisdom that only comes with experience--an advantage that can make a huge difference in your granchild's life. Unlike first-time parents, you've done this before and learned from your mistakes. Don't underestimate what you have to offer!***